Monday, May 25, 2015

My Dad In The War (Part Seven)

My Dad was always good with his hands. There wasn't anything he couldn't do, anything he couldn't build, or anything he couldn't fix.
     He was also vain.
     I don't mean that in a bad way, he just had the vanity of a good-looking man. He didn't only want to be handsome, he wanted to look handsome. So it must have bothered him to have to wear the same Army uniform day in and day out, and not be able to wash it.
     I tell my kids, "See the problem, solve the problem." I probably got that from my Dad. In fact, I know I did. And solve the problem my Dad did. By hand, and with what little materials available to him, he designed and built a washing machine.
     The design was pretty simple. Basically, it was just an empty metal barrel attached to the front-wheel drive tires of a jeep, but it did the job. Thanks to my Dad, his platoon was able to wash their uniforms without any fuss or muss. They were grateful, and I'm sure the Philippine women they visited whenever the opportunity presented itself were grateful.
     When Dad first told me this story, I thought perhaps that he was exaggerating for the benefit of his son, but after he died I came across an old WWII photograph of him standing next to his invention. He posed for the picture looking mighty pleased with himself.
     And clean.
     It was because of his natural mechanical ability that Dad eventually requested a transfer. He went from being a medic to being an automotive mechanic. It was a better fit for him. He enjoyed working with his hands, taking things apart and putting them back together. Plus, I'm sure he preferred working on broken down jeeps, rather than on dying soldiers. If you can't fix a jeep, you can always turn it into a washing machine. If you can't fix a human, you break a lot of hearts when you send them home in a body bag.
     Later, Dad became a truck driver (light). He drove a 2 1/2 ton truck, and hauled personnel and supplies. He also hauled infantry replacement troops from the rear guard area to front line duty. I'm sure he enjoyed his new position. He no longer had to get his hands dirty repairing any vehicles, and he now had a sweet ride into town to visit his girlfriend.
     Not a bad deal.
     Considering.
 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.blogspot.com
jimduchene.BlogSpot.com  Fifty Shades of Funny
@JimDuchene
     

No comments:

Post a Comment