Tuesday, May 15, 2018

All The Difference In The World

Adults have never understood kids and kids have never understood adults, but it’s a different kind of generation gap we live with today.
    What am I saying?

     I’m saying that I like to shop at used book stores. I love books, but I’m not particularly fond of paying full price for them.
   One of my favorite used book stores is affiliated with the city’s libraries, so I get a good deal and the money goes to a good cause. It’s run by some very sweet elderly ladies who, if you were looking for the typical stereotype of a librarian, would fill the bill nicely.
   I was standing at the science fiction section hoping to find either a collection of Fredric Brown’s short stories or Jeff Rice’s novel The Night Stalker, which Darren McGavin’s classic TV-movie and eventual series was based on, and, in an interesting side note, was the inspiration for Chris Carter’s The X-Files, starring David Duchovny and the hauntingly beautiful Gillian Anderson.
   Well, I didn’t find either... but I wasn’t disappointed.
   One day I will.
   Sadly, that wasn’t the case for two young boys who walked into the bookstore. They walked up to  one of the ladies and asked her, “Do you have any Star Wars books?”
   I gave the shelves a quick glance.
   I didn’t see any.
   Adjusting her glasses, she answered in the affirmative. The two boys looked at each other. I could see them practically jump up and down with happiness.
   “They’re over here,” she told them, and led them to where I was standing.
   The boys eagerly looked, but were immediately disappointed.
   “These are Star Trek,” they complained.
   The cashier once again adjusted her glasses.
   “What’s the difference?” she asked.

 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.BlogSpot.com
JimDuchene.BlogSpot.com  American Chimpanzee
@JimDuchene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment