Sunday, December 10, 2017

A Long Road To The Point

Sad news.
     Even sadder than usual.
     A friend of mine from work was recently diagnosed pre-Alzheimer's. He's retired and spends a lot of his time searching the internet for a cure. It gives him hope, I guess.
     When my lovely wife and I recently ran into him and his wife at Costco, the wife started explaining the sad situation to us.
      “But I’ve got a great doctor,” my friend cut in. There was never a conversation he didn't want to dominate.
     “You do?” my wife asked, being polite. “Maybe I know him. What’s his name?”
     “Aw, jeez,” my friend said, “his name. You know, with this Alzheimer’s, sometimes I forget things.”
     My wife and I nodded our heads in sympathy.
      “His name... his name...” he said, trying to remember. And then, out of the blue, he asked his wife, "What's that TV show I like to watch."

     "What TV show, dear?"
     "The one about nothing," he told her.
     "Seinfeld?" she asked.
     "Yeah, Seinfeld. Didn't he make a movie? A cartoon?"
     "Yeah," I said, wondering where he was going with all this.
     "What was it called?"
     "The Bee Movie," I answered.
     "That's right, The Bee Movie. What’s that thing that bees make that’s sweet?”
     “Honey,” my wife said, her eyes filling with tears.
      “That’s right,” my friend said, and then turned to his wife. “Honey, what’s my doctor’s name?”

 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.BlogSpot.com
JimDuchene.BlogSpot.com
@JimDuchene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment