Sunday, October 15, 2017

Rambunctious Kids

My brother and I were pretty rambunctious kids.
     How rambunctious?
     Well, in the Bible, I’ve heard it says, “Spare the rod, spoil the child.”

     Let’s just say that the two of us gave our parents plenty of reason not to spoil us.
     Let me give you an example. When I was still in single digits age-wise, I saw a movie about time travel and decided to build a time machine. This consisted of my getting an oven rack that, for some reason, was discarded in our backyard. I took it, then went into the kitchen to get my mother’s roll of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil. I covered each metal wire with the aluminum foil, including the thicker wire frame. I found an extension cord, also discarded in the backyard, and cut off the female end, exposing the copper wiring. I attached the exposed wiring of the extension cord to one corner of the rack.
      I placed the rejiggered oven rack on the ground, plug the extension cord in the outside electrical socket, and talked one of my friends into becoming the first time-naut.
      My theory was this: the electricity flowing through the rejiggered oven rack would create a time warp, and, when my friend jumped onto it, he would fall through the portal and find himself in another time-stream.
      Let’s just say the experiment didn’t go so well.
      Cut to my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary.
      My brother and I were celebrating the special occasion by taking our parents out to a fancy dinner. Our father didn’t want to go, but that’s another story.
     “Bring me back something,” he initially told us.
      He changed his mind and came with us after our beloved mother sent us to another room so she could talk to our father “in private.”
     At dinner, I asked what their secret was to a long, successful marriage.
     “Well,” my mother said, “your father and I agreed that, if we ever split up, whoever left would have to take you and your brother.”

 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.BlogSpot.com
JimDuchene.BlogSpot.com  American Chimpanzee
@JimDuchene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment