Sunday, May 22, 2016

My Dad In The War: A Memorial Day Memory

My Dad isn't one to talk about what he went through when he was stationed in the Philippines during World War Two. In fact, it seems most combat veterans prefer to keep the horrors of what they saw and experienced to themselves.
     Every once in a while, however, my father feels the need to get something off his chest.
     On once such occasion, he was talking about the Japanese finally surrendering after President Truman authorized the dropping of two atomic bombs on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He and the rest of his buddies knew that if there was an invasion of Japan, they would be first in line. He was telling me how happy everybody was when the Japanese finally gave up and the war finally ended.
     Naïve as I was and still am, I asked him, "And how did you guys know the war was over?"
     "When they stopped shooting at us," he said, seriously.
 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.BlogSpot.com
jimduchene.BlogSpot.com  American Chimpanzee
@JimDuchene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment