Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Button (Part Four)

     My wife and and I work on removing the old TV and installing his new one. Okay, mainly it's me removing the old TV and installing the new one, and my wife cheering me on. Before I remove the old TV, I again checked all the controls, just in case I missed something. No, nothing. Everything's good.
     I'm done with my end of the job, and now it's my wife's turn to begin hers. She quickly becomes busy adjusting the color, size of picture, etc. The VIP treatment. Nothing's too good for the old guy sitting in my house in my chair watching a baseball game--any baseball game--on my TV and waiting for all the work to be done for him. If push comes to shove, I guess I'd rather have it that way, him away in the house, than trying to help my wife and I with something that he knows nothing about, which would have made TWO guys doing something they know nothing about. I'm not saying that all this new technology is beyond my comprehension, I'm just saying the simpler they make things, the more confusing they are to work. Anyway...
     After removing my Dad's old TV,  I carry it into the kitchen. As I walk in, my Dad looks up at me for a quick second, and then turns back to his game,  mumbling something like, "Ohhh, is that the TV that doesn't work?"
     I place it on the center counter and hook it up. Why? Because to paraphrase Ricardo Montalban in Star Trek's The Wrath of Kahn: "It tasks me!"
     Why doesn't it work, dammit?
     Geez... now I'm starting to sound like my Dad.
     Maybe the light's better in the kitchen. Maybe the new surroundings gives me a fresh take on the problem. Maybe I just got smarter in the seconds it took me to walk from the father-in-law house to my house. Whatever it was, I start checking out the TV inch by inch, left to right, up and down, Simon and Garfunkle, and what do I see? I see the main cut-off button located in back of the TV and out of the way from all the other controls. Now that I've found the button, I don't know how I could have missed it in the first place. It was hidden in the back and out of the way, but it wasn't that hidden and out of the way. The fact that the entire back of the TV is black, including the button, didn't help, but still. It's like that visual puzzle that's just a jumble of colors, but if you stare at it long enough you can see a boat or a car or a building, and then you can't stop seeing the boat or the car or the building, and you wonder how you weren't able to see it in the first place, and then you feel like a dope, because a puzzle just made a fool out of you, and it's nothing more than colors on a piece of paper. Yeah, it's something like that. Anyway, I see that the button is turned off, and now that I see it, I can't stop seeing it.
     Not good. I can kick myself. If I was Chuck Norris I could, because Chuck Norris is so fast he can run around in a circle and kick his own behind. That must be true, because I read it on the internet.
     I look at the button
     My first question is: How did it get turned off? My second question is: Who turned it off? And my third question is...
 

...to be continued...
Same Bat-Time. Same Bat-Channel.
 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.blogspot.com
jimduchene.blogspot.com  Fifty Shades of Funny
@JimDuchene
  

No comments:

Post a Comment