Sunday, December 6, 2015

Google It

I enjoy watching baseball on TV as much as the next guy, as long as the next guy is someone who doesn't enjoy watching baseball on TV. On the other hand, my elderly father who lives with me loves watching baseball on TV, and he'll spend many happy hours sitting in front of the television set doing just that. I pay extra for the Major League Baseball channel, and, believe me, it's worth every penny.
     I want to spend time with my dad, but I don't want to sit in front of the TV for hours doing nothing, so I'll grab my laptop and join him. He'll do his thing, I'll do mine, and somewhere along the line we'll even exchange a few words.
     Recently, during a commercial of course, he asked me, "What do you do with that?"
     "What do I do with what?" I asked him back.
     I must admit, I wasn't paying much attention.
     "What do you do with your computer?"
     Finally, a subject I actually had some interest in.
     "Well, pop, right now I'm doing some research on Google."
     It's true. My dog had developed an allergy to his food, and I was researching grain-free, limited-ingredient, hypoallergenic dog foods. Whoever said dogs are no trouble have never met mine.
     "What's Google?" my father wanted to know.
     "Well, Google is what's called a search engine," I explained. "You ask it a question, and it gives you the answer."
     "I don't believe it."
     "It's true."
     "Any question?"
     "Any question," I assured him.
     My dad thought a bit, and then said, "You know, my brother has been sick."
     "I know, dad," I sympathized, thinking my father had changed the subject.
     "Ask Google how he is."
 
 
Raising My Father
RaisingMyFather.BlogSpot.com
jimduchene.BlogSpot.com  American Chimpanzee
@JimDuchene
as featured in Desert Exposure Magazine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment